Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Concert

(Warning... this one rhymes!)

Fast by the Lakes of Killarney
In a rhododendron dream
I saw a leprechaun kneeling
Neath a hawthorne tree by a stream


He’d gathered about him an army
Of herons and songbirds and crows
When he lifted his staff to direct them
A magnificent music arose


The herons strutted a rhythm
The songbirds carried the tune
The crows provided percussion
And all of the forest was soon


Swaying, it seemed, to the music
The leprechaun’s feathered band played
And me, I tried to stay hidden
Not wanting the music they made


To end that day or forever
Since I’d fallen beneath the spell
I would stay by the lake for a lifetime
Yes, deep in that forest I’d dwell


But alas, the dreamsong soon ended
Leaving me sad beyond words
Then the leprechaun turned to smile at me
And winked as he fled with the birds


Copyright © 2009 Mary Beth Watt. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment