Sunday, August 30, 2009

Symphony of Peace

I wrote this poem in response to a challenge from Robert McDowell, whose own wonderful book, Poetry as Spiritual Practice, I highly recommend. Robert is suggesting that those of us who want to might enjoy participating in a new movement for world peace started by a friend of his, Rich German. I have visited the web site and will now receive a daily meditation for world peace. If you would like to know more, please visit www.richgerman.com/worldpeaceintro.html. Also, you can visit Robert McDowell's web site at http://www.robertmcdowell.net/.

Anyway, here is my poem about peace.

In a small house in Virginia
A young mother comforts a child
With a lullaby learned at her own mother's side

At an army base near Kabul
A soldier sits at a computer
Laughing at emailed jokes from his son

Near a village west of Nairobi
Six women search for fruit
Singing together to welcome a new day

Everywhere, voices rise
People join in laughter
Harmony brings smiles

Moments of peace playing
A symphony for God's hearing

Copyright (c) 2009 Mary Beth Watt. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Mary Beth!
    This poem reminds me of my connection to
    people all around the world enjoying the harmony of the day. As I type I'm imagining the Nairobi women and the Kabul soldiers and the families in America gathering for dinner, just like me, and just like you. So sweet! Thank you,
    Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete